Pentalogy of Cantrell
Other Names for this Disease
- Cantrell deformity
- Cantrell Haller Ravitsch syndrome
- Cantrell pentalogy
- Cantrell syndrome
- Thoraco-abdominal syndrome
diaphragm); the thin membrane that lines the heart (pericardium); the abdominal wall; and the heart. It can have varying degrees of severity, and can be lethal. Most affected infants do not have all potential defects (incomplete pentalogy of Cantrell). The exact cause of the condition is not known. Most cases occur sporadically, but familial cases have been reported. Treatment is based on the symptoms present in each affected person.Pentalogy of Cantrell is a condition characterized by a combination of midline birth defects that can potentially involve the breastbone (sternum); the muscle that separates the chest cavity from the abdomen and aids in breathing (
Last updated: 9/29/2014
- Pentalogy of Cantrell. NORD. January 28, 2014; http://rarediseases.org/rare-disease-information/rare-diseases/byID/939/viewAbstract. Accessed 9/29/2014.
- Cantrell pentalogy. Orphanet. May, 2004; http://www.orpha.net/consor/cgi-bin/OC_Exp.php?lng=en&Expert=1335. Accessed 9/29/2014.
- van Hoorn JHL, Moonen RMJ, Huysentruyt CJR, van Heurn LWE, Offermans JPM, Twan Mulder ALM. Pentalogy of Cantrell: two patients and a review to determine prognostic factors for optimal approach. Eur J Pediatr. 2008;
- The National Organization for Rare Disorders (NORD) is a federation of more than 130 nonprofit voluntary health organizations serving people with rare disorders. Click on the link to view information on this topic.
- Online Mendelian Inheritance in Man (OMIM) is a catalog of human genes and genetic disorders. Each entry has a summary of related medical articles. It is meant for health care professionals and researchers. OMIM is maintained by Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine.
- Orphanet is a European reference portal for information on rare diseases and orphan drugs. Access to this database is free of charge.
- PubMed is a searchable database of medical literature and lists journal articles that discuss Pentalogy of Cantrell. Click on the link to view a sample search on this topic.