Other Names for this Disease
- Phenylalanine hydroxylase deficiency
- Oligophrenia phenylpyruvica
- Folling disease
- PAH deficiency
See Disclaimer regarding information on this site. Some links on this page may take you to organizations outside of the National Institutes of Health.
On this page
- Finding Treatment Information - A video developed by GARD Information Specialists that explains how you can find information about treatment for a rare disease.
- Women with PKU who want to become pregnant can obtain a maternal express packet of information from the Children's PKU Network - free of charge - designed to assist women with their diet.
- Wappner, et al. Management of Phenylketonuria for Optimal Outcome: A Review of Guidelines for Phenylketonuria Management and a Report of Surveys of Parents, Patients, and Clinic Directors. Pediatrics.1999;104:e68.
- GeneReviews provides current, expert-authored, peer-reviewed, full-text articles describing the application of genetic testing to the diagnosis, management, and genetic counseling of patients with specific inherited conditions.
- National Institutes of Health Consensus Development Panel. National Institutes of Health Consensus Development Conference Statement: Phenylketonuria: Screening and Management October 16-18, 2000. Pediatrics. 2001;108:972-982.
- You can find diet-related information on the PKU News Web site. Click on the link to view.
(Biomarin Pharmaceutical Inc.)
The FDA has approved this product to be used in this manner.
|Indicated to reduce blood phenylalanine (Phe) levels in patients with hyperphenylalaninemia (HPA) due to tetrahydrobiopterin- (BH4-) responsive Phenylketonuria (PKU). Kuvan is to be used in conjunction with a Phe-restricted diet.|
|More Information about this product||
Drug Information Portal
Medline Plus Health Information