Other Names for this Disease
- Poland anomaly
- Poland syndactyly
- Poland sequence
- Unilateral defect of pectoralis muscle and syndactyly of the hand
- Poland's syndrome
See Disclaimer regarding information on this site. Some links on this page may take you to organizations outside of the National Institutes of Health.
Poland syndrome is characterized by an underdeveloped or absent chest muscle on one side of the body, absence of the breastbone portion (sternal) of the chest muscle, and webbing of the fingers of the hand on the same side. The cause of Poland syndrome is not known. This syndrome is nearly always sporadic. It tends to be right sided and is more common in boys than girls.
Last updated: 9/2/2015
- Learning About Poland Anomaly. National Human Genome Research Institute. June 25, 2012; http://www.genome.gov/14514230. Accessed 9/2/2015.
- Genetics Home Reference contains information on Poland syndrome. This website is maintained by the National Library of Medicine.
- The National Human Genome Research Institute's (NHGRI) mission encompasses a broad range of studies aimed at understanding the structure and function of the human genome and its role in health and disease. Click on the link to view the information page on this topic.
- The National Organization for Rare Disorders (NORD) is a federation of more than 130 nonprofit voluntary health organizations serving people with rare disorders. Click on the link to view information on this topic.
- Medscape Reference provides information on this topic. You may need to register to view the medical textbook, but registration is free.
- Online Mendelian Inheritance in Man (OMIM) is a catalog of human genes and genetic disorders. Each entry has a summary of related medical articles. It is meant for health care professionals and researchers. OMIM is maintained by Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine.
- Orphanet is a European reference portal for information on rare diseases and orphan drugs. Access to this database is free of charge.
- PubMed is a searchable database of medical literature and lists journal articles that discuss Poland syndrome. Click on the link to view a sample search on this topic.