Pyruvate kinase deficiency
- PK deficiency
- Pyruvate kinase deficiency of erythrocytes
- Pyruvate kinase deficiency of red cells
Your QuestionMy son was diagnosed with pyruvate kinase deficiency when he was a baby. My husband and I were tested and are negative for being carriers. Could you tell me what else could cause pyruvate kinase deficiency?
We have identified the following information that we hope you find helpful. If you still have questions, please contact us.
Questions on this page
You may wish to discuss your concerns with a genetics professional. Genetics clinics are a source of information for individuals and families regarding genetic conditions, treatment, inheritance, and genetic risks to other family members. More information about genetic consultations is available from Genetics Home Reference at http://ghr.nlm.nih.gov/handbook/consult. To find a genetics clinic, we recommend that you contact your primary healthcare provider for a referral.
The following online resources can help you find a genetics professional in your community:
- GeneTests has a searchable directory of US and international genetics and prenatal diagnosis clinics.
- The National Society for Genetic Counselors provides a searchable directory of US and international genetic counseling services.
- The American College of Medical Genetics has a searchable database of US genetics clinics.
- The University of Kansas Medical Center provides a list of US and international genetic centers, clinics, and departments.
- The American Society of Human Genetics maintains a database of its members, which includes individuals who live outside of the United States. Visit the link to obtain a list of the geneticists in your country, some of whom may be researchers that do not provide medical care.
- Haldeman-Englert C. Pyruvate kinase deficiency. MedlinePlus Encyclopedia. January 2010; http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/ency/article/001197.htm. Accessed 7/18/2011.
- Pyruvate Kinase Deficiency. National Organization for Rare Disorders (NORD). 2005; http://www.rarediseases.org/rare-disease-information/rare-diseases/byID/465/viewAbstract. Accessed 7/18/2011.
- Zanella A, Fermo E, Bianchi P, Chiarelli LR, Valentini G. Pyruvate kinase deficiency: the genotype-phenotype association.. Blood Rev. 2007; http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/17360088. Accessed 7/18/2011.
- Frye, Richard. Pyruvate Kinase Deficiency. eMedicine. December 18, 2008; http://emedicine.medscape.com/article/125096-overview. Accessed 7/18/2011.