Hypohidrotic ectodermal dysplasia
Other Names for this Disease
- Ectodermal dysplasia, hypohidrotic
- Anhidrotic ectodermal dysplasia
- Ectodermal dysplasia anhidrotic
Your QuestionOnce someone has this condition, is there anything that can be done to correct the problems caused by the genetic mutation?
We have identified the following information that we hope you find helpful. If you still have questions, please contact us.
There is no specific treatment for HED. The condition is managed by treating the various symptoms. For patients with abnormal or no sweat glands, it is recommended that they live in places with air conditioning at home, school and work. In order to maintain normal body temperature, they should frequently drink cool liquids and wear cool clothing. Dental defects can be managed with dentures and implants. Artificial tears are used to prevent cornea damage for patients that do not produce enough tears. Surgery to repair a cleft palate is also helpful in improving speech and facial deformities.
Last updated: 9/27/2012
- Wright JT, Grange DK, Richter MK. Hypohidrotic Ectodermal Dysplasia. Gene Reviews. 2006; http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/bookshelf/br.fcgi?book=gene&part=x-hed.
- Ectodermal Dysplasia. DermNet NZ. 2009; http://www.dermnetnz.org/hair-nails-sweat/ectodermal-dysplasia.html.