Other Names for this Disease
- Acquired hyperostosis syndrome
- Synovitis, Acne, Pustlosis, Hyperostosis, and Osteomyelitis
- Synovitis acne pustulosis hyperostosis osteitis
- Synovitis-acne-pustulosis-hyperostosis-osteitis syndrome
See Disclaimer regarding information on this site. Some links on this page may take you to organizations outside of the National Institutes of Health.
There is no specific treatment plan for SAPHO syndrome. It can be a chronic condition but sometimes eventually heals on its own. Joint pain may be managed with nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs and prescription vitamin A is used to treat the acne.
Other drugs that may be used include:
Last updated: 2/4/2014
- SAPHO syndrome. DermNet NZ. December 29, 2013; http://dermnetnz.org/systemic/sapho.html. Accessed 2/4/2014.
- Finding Treatment Information - A video developed by GARD Information Specialists that explains how you can find information about treatment for a rare disease.