Other Names for this Disease
- Postpartum hypopituitarism
- Postpartum panhypopituitarism
- Postpartum panhypopituitary syndrome
- Postpartum pituitary necrosis
- Simmond's disease
Your QuestionI was diagnosed with Sheehan syndrome after complications with giving birth 8yrs ago. I have been having trouble getting pregnant and wanted to know if Sheehan syndrome creates difficulties with having a pregnancy.
We have identified the following information that we hope you find helpful. If you still have questions, please contact us.
Sheehan syndrome can affect a woman's ability to get pregnant. Hypopituitarism is a symptom of Sheehan syndrome that occurs when the pituitary gland does not produce normal amounts of its hormones. One of the hormones the pituitary gland produces is follicle stimulating hormone (FSH). A woman may have difficulties getting pregnant when her body is not producing enough FSH. Hormone therapy and other medicine is available to treat infertility caused by hypopituitarism.
Last updated: 3/13/2013
- Medline Plus. Hypopituitarism. February 27, 2013; http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/ency/article/000343.htm. Accessed 3/13/2013.