Other Names for this Disease
- Postpartum hypopituitarism
- Postpartum panhypopituitarism
- Postpartum panhypopituitary syndrome
- Postpartum pituitary necrosis
- Simmond's disease
 Severe blood loss during or after childbirth can deprive the body of oxygen and seriously damage the pituitary gland. This causes the gland to permanently lose its ability to function properly. While some women have very few symptoms, Sheehan syndrome can lead to an adrenal crisis - a life-threatening shortage of the hormone cortisol. Treatment involves lifelong hormone replacement therapy.Sheehan syndrome, or postpartum hypopituitarism, is a rare complication of postpartum hemorrhage.
Last updated: 2/23/2010
- Schrager S, Sabo L. J Am Board Fam Med. 2001; http://www.jabfm.org/cgi/reprint/14/5/389.pdf. Accessed 2/23/2010.
- Vorvick L, Storck S. Sheehan syndrome. MedlinePlus. 2008; http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/ency/article/001175.htm. Accessed 2/23/2010.
- Sheehan's syndrome. MayoClinic.com. 2009; http://www.mayoclinic.com/print/sheehans-syndrome/DS00889/DSECTION=all&METHOD=print. Accessed 2/23/2010.
- MedlinePlus was designed by the National Library of Medicine to help you research your health questions, and it provides more information about this topic.
- The National Organization for Rare Disorders (NORD) has a report for patients and families about this condition. NORD is a patient advocacy organization for individuals with rare diseases and the organizations that serve them.
- The MayoClinic.com offers an information page on Sheehan syndrome. You can access this information page by clicking on the above link.
- Medscape Reference provides information on this topic. You may need to register to view the medical textbook, but registration is free.
- The Monarch Initiative brings together data about this condition from humans and other species to help physicians and biomedical researchers. Monarch’s tools are designed to make it easier to compare the signs and symptoms (phenotypes) of different diseases and discover common features. This initiative is a collaboration between several academic institutions across the world and is funded by the National Institutes of Health. Visit the website to explore the biology of this condition.
- Orphanet is a European reference portal for information on rare diseases and orphan drugs. Access to this database is free of charge.
- PubMed is a searchable database of medical literature and lists journal articles that discuss Sheehan syndrome. Click on the link to view a sample search on this topic.
- Schrager S, Sabo L. Sheehan Syndrome: A Rare Complication of Postpartum Hemorrhage. J Am Board Fam Med. 2001; 14(5):389-391.