Other Names for this Disease
- Aarskog-Ose-Pande syndrome
- Lipodystrophy - Rieger anomaly - diabetes
- Partial lipodystrophy with Rieger anomaly and short stature
- Rieger anomaly - partial lipodystrophy
- Short stature, Hyperextensibility, Hernia, Ocular depression, Rieger anomaly and Teething delay
short stature; (H) hyperextensibility of joints and/or hernia (inguinal); (O) ocular depression (deep-set eyes); (R) Rieger anomaly (defective development of the anterior chamber of the eye that can lead to glaucoma); and (T) teething delay. Other features commonly present include a triangular face, small chin with a dimple, loss of fat under the skin (lipodystrophy), abnormal position of the ears, hearing loss and delayed speech. The condition appears to be inherited in an autosomal dominant manner. Treatment focuses on the specific symptoms present in each individual.SHORT syndrome is a condition characterized by multiple abnormalities that affect several parts of the body. The term SHORT is an acronym with each letter representing a common feature in affected individuals: (S)
Last updated: 11/2/2011
- SHORT syndrome. NORD. August 17, 2007; http://www.rarediseases.org/rare-disease-information/rare-diseases/byID/938/viewAbstract. Accessed 11/1/2011.
- Genetics Home Reference (GHR) contains information on SHORT syndrome. This website is maintained by the National Library of Medicine.
- The National Organization for Rare Disorders (NORD) is a federation of more than 130 nonprofit voluntary health organizations serving people with rare disorders. Click on the link to view information on this topic.
- Online Mendelian Inheritance in Man (OMIM) is a catalog of human genes and genetic disorders. Each entry has a summary of related medical articles. It is meant for health care professionals and researchers. OMIM is maintained by Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine.
- Orphanet is a European reference portal for information on rare diseases and orphan drugs. Access to this database is free of charge.
- PubMed is a searchable database of medical literature and lists journal articles that discuss SHORT syndrome. Click on the link to view a sample search on this topic.