Superior mesenteric artery syndrome
Other Names for this Disease
- Arteriomesenteric duodenal compression syndrome
- Cast syndrome
- Vascular compression of the duodenum
- Wilkie syndrome
The signs and symptoms of superior mesenteric artery syndrome vary but may include:
- Abdominal fullness
- Bloating after meals
- Nausea and vomiting of partially digested food
- Mid-abdominal "crampy" pain that may be relieved by the prone or knee-chest position.
Last updated: 12/11/2014
- Superior Mesenteric Artery (SMA) Syndrome. International Foundation for Functional Gastrointestinal Disorders. September 2014; http://www.iffgd.org/site/gi-disorders/other/sma-syndrome.