Superior mesenteric artery syndrome
Other Names for this Disease
- Arteriomesenteric duodenal compression syndrome
- Cast syndrome
- Vascular compression of the duodenum
- Wilkie syndrome
See Disclaimer regarding information on this site. Some links on this page may take you to organizations outside of the National Institutes of Health.
The signs and symptoms of superior mesenteric artery syndrome vary but may include:
- Abdominal fullness
- Bloating after meals
- Nausea and vomiting of partially digested food
- Mid-abdominal "crampy" pain that may be relieved by the prone or knee-chest position.
Last updated: 12/11/2014
- Superior Mesenteric Artery (SMA) Syndrome. International Foundation for Functional Gastrointestinal Disorders. September 2014; http://www.iffgd.org/site/gi-disorders/other/sma-syndrome.