* Not a rare disease
- Ocular Toxocariasis - when the larvae infect the eye and cause vision loss, eye inflammation, and/or damage to the retina.
- Visceral Toxocariasis - when the larvae infect various organs of the body (i.e. the liver or the central nervous system) and cause fever, fatigue, coughing, wheezing, and/or abdominal pain.
Last updated: 11/16/2015
- Parasites - Toxocariasis. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. January 2013; http://www.cdc.gov/parasites/toxocariasis/index.html.
- Sun Huh, MD, PhD. Toxocariasis. Medscape Reference. August 2014; http://emedicine.medscape.com/article/229855-overview#a6.
- DermNet NZ is an online resource about skin diseases developed by the New Zealand Dermatological Society Incorporated. DermNet NZ provides information about this condition.
- The Merck Manuals Online Medical Library provides information on this condition for patients and caregivers.
- The National Organization for Rare Disorders (NORD) is a federation of more than 130 nonprofit voluntary health organizations serving people with rare disorders. Click on the link to view information on this topic.
- Medscape Reference provides information on this topic. You may need to register to view the medical textbook, but registration is free.
- Orphanet is a European reference portal for information on rare diseases and orphan drugs. Access to this database is free of charge.
- PubMed is a searchable database of medical literature and lists journal articles that discuss Toxocariasis. Click on the link to view a sample search on this topic.