myelin, the fatty insulating substance that covers nerve cell fibers. This damage causes nervous system scars that interrupt communications between the nerves in the spinal cord and the rest of the body. Transverse myelitis is part of a spectrum of neuroimmunologic diseases of the central nervous system. Other disorders in this spectrum include, Acute Disseminated Encephalomyelitis (ADEM), Optic Neuritis, and Neuromyelitis Optica (Devic's disease).Transverse myelitis is a neurological disorder caused by inflammation across both sides of one level, or segment, of the spinal cord. The term myelitis refers to inflammation of the spinal cord; transverse describes the position of the inflammation, that is, across the width of the spinal cord. Attacks of inflammation can damage or destroy
Last updated: 9/2/2015
- Transverse Myelitis Fact Sheet. National Institute of Neurological Disorders and Stroke (NINDS). June 24, 2015; http://www.ninds.nih.gov/disorders/transversemyelitis/detail_transversemyelitis.htm. Accessed 9/2/2015.
- Rare Neuroimmunologic Disorders. The Transverse Myelitis Association. http://myelitis.org/symptoms-conditions/rare-neuro-immunologic-disorders/. Accessed 9/2/2015.
- The National Institute of Neurological Disorders and Stroke (NINDS) collects and disseminates research information related to neurological disorders. Click on the link to view information on this topic.
- The National Organization for Rare Disorders (NORD) is a federation of more than 130 nonprofit voluntary health organizations serving people with rare disorders. Click on the link to view information on this topic.
- PubMed is a searchable database of medical literature and lists journal articles that discuss Transverse myelitis. Click on the link to view a sample search on this topic.