Granulomatosis with polyangiitis
Other Names for this Disease
- Wegener granulomatosis
- Midline granulomatosis
- ANCA-associated vasculitis
- Secondary glomerular disease
See Disclaimer regarding information on this site. Some links on this page may take you to organizations outside of the National Institutes of Health.
Granulomatosis with polyangiitis (Wegener's) is a type of vasculitis, or inflammation of the blood vessels. This limits the flow of blood to important organs, causing damage. It can affect any organ, but it mainly affects the sinuses, nose, trachea (windpipe), lungs and kidneys. Symptoms can vary in nature and severity, and may include sinus pain; discolored or bloody fluid from the nose; nasal ulcers; constant runny nose (rhinorrhea); joint pain; weakness; tiredness; and/or skin lesions. The cause of granulomatosis with polyangiitis is unknown. Early treatment is important. Most people improve with medicines to slow or stop the inflammation.
Last updated: 5/25/2015
- Granulomatosis with Polyangiitis. MedlinePlus. May 19, 2015; http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/granulomatosiswithpolyangiitis.html. Accessed 5/25/2015.
- Granulomatosis With Polyangiitis. NIAID. October 29, 2013; http://www.niaid.nih.gov/topics/gpa/pages/default.aspx. Accessed 5/25/2015.
- Genetics Home Reference contains information on Granulomatosis with polyangiitis. This website is maintained by the National Library of Medicine.
- MedlinePlus was designed by the National Library of Medicine to help you research your health questions, and it provides more information about this topic.
- The National Organization for Rare Disorders (NORD) is a federation of more than 130 nonprofit voluntary health organizations serving people with rare disorders. Click on the link to view information on this topic.
- Medscape Reference provides information on this topic. You may need to register to view the medical textbook, but registration is free.
- The Monarch Initiative brings together data about this condition from humans and other species to help physicians and biomedical researchers. Monarch’s tools are designed to make it easier to compare the signs and symptoms (phenotypes) of different diseases and discover common features. This initiative is a collaboration between several academic institutions across the world and is funded by the National Institutes of Health. Visit the website to explore the biology of this condition.
- Online Mendelian Inheritance in Man (OMIM) is a catalog of human genes and genetic disorders. Each entry has a summary of related medical articles. It is meant for health care professionals and researchers. OMIM is maintained by Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine.
- Orphanet is a European reference portal for information on rare diseases and orphan drugs. Access to this database is free of charge.
- PubMed is a searchable database of medical literature and lists journal articles that discuss Granulomatosis with polyangiitis. Click on the link to view a sample search on this topic.