Other Names for this Disease
- Retractile mesenteritis
- Liposclerotic mesenteritis
- Mesenteric lipogranuloma
- Mesenteric fibromatosis
- Mesenteric panniculitis
small intestine to the back of the abdominal wall. The cause of this condition is unknown. The most common symptom is abdominal pain or a palpable abdominal mass. Click on the highlighted text to view an illustration of the small intestine.Sclerosing mesenteritis is one of many terms used to describe a spectrum of chronic inflammatory diseases affecting the small bowel mesentery, the membrane that anchors the
Last updated: 10/1/2015
- Sclerosing mesenteritis. MayoClinic.org. March 22, 2014; http://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/sclerosing-mesenteritis/basics/definition/con-20037148. Accessed 10/1/2015.
- S Akram, DS Pardi, JA Schaffner, TC Smyrk. Sclerosing mesenteritis: clinical features, treatment, and outcome in ninety-two patients. Clin Gastroenterol Hepatol. 2007 May; 5(5):589-96. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/sites/entrez?Db=pubmed&Cmd=DetailsSearch&Term=17478346%5Buid%5D. Accessed 10/1/2015.
- Townsend: Sabiston Textbook of Surgery, 17th ed.. Saunders, An Imprint of Elsevier ; 2004;
- Sclerosing Mesenteritis. The Doctor's Doctor Web site. 2002; http://www.thedoctorsdoctor.com/diseases/sclerosing_mesenteritis.htm. Accessed 10/1/2015.
- The Doctors Doctor.com provides information on sclerosing mesenteritis. Click on the link to view the information page.
- The Mayo Clinic Web site provides information on sclerosing mesenteritis. Click on the link to view the information pages.
- The National Organization for Rare Disorders (NORD) is a federation of more than 130 nonprofit voluntary health organizations serving people with rare disorders. Click on the link to view information on this topic.
- Medscape Reference provides information on mesenteric tumors, including sclerosing mesenteritis (also known as mesenteric lipodystrophy). You may need to register to view the article, but registration is free.
- MeSH® (Medical Subject Headings) is a terminology tool used by the National Library of Medicine. Click on the link to view information on this topic.
- Orphanet is a European reference portal for information on rare diseases and orphan drugs. Access to this database is free of charge.
- PubMed is a searchable database of medical literature and lists journal articles that discuss Sclerosing mesenteritis. Click on the link to view a sample search on this topic.
- Akram s, Pardi D, Schaffner J, Smyrk T. Sclerosing mesenteritis: Clinical features, treatment, and outcome in ninety-two patients. Clinical Gastroenterology and Hepatology. May 2007;5(5):589-596.