- Chromosome 17p11.2 deletion syndrome
- 17p11.2 microdeletion syndrome
Your QuestionIs it true that Smith-Magenis syndrome become more difficult to diagnose through genetic testing if the child is older than 24 months?
We have identified the following information that we hope you find helpful. If you still have questions, please contact us.
Questions on this page
GeneTests lists the names of laboratories that are performing genetic testing for Smith-Magenis syndrome. To view the contact information for the clinical laboratories, conducting testing click here. To access the contact information for the research laboratories performing genetic testing, click here.
Please note: Most of the laboratories listed through GeneTests do not accept direct contact from patients and their families; therefore, if you are interested in learning more, you will need to work with a health care provider or a genetics professional. In the Genetic Services section of this letter we provide a list of online resources that can assist you in locating a genetics professional near you.
The following online resources can help you find a genetics professional in your community:
- The National Society of Genetic Counselors provides a searchable directory of US and international genetic counseling services.
- The American College of Medical Genetics has a searchable database of US genetics clinics.
- The University of Kansas Medical Center provides a list of US and international genetic centers, clinics, and departments.
- The American Society of Human Genetics maintains a database of its members, which includes individuals who live outside of the United States. Visit the link to obtain a list of the geneticists in your country, some of whom may be researchers that do not provide medical care.
- Smith ACM, Boyd K, Elsea SH, Finucane BM, Haas-Givler B, Gropman A, Johnson KP, Lupinski JR, Magenis E, Potocki L & Solomon B. Smith-Magenis Syndrome. GeneReviews. June 28, 2012; http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/bookshelf/br.fcgi?book=gene&part=sms. Accessed 7/17/2015.