Sideroblastic anemia pyridoxine-refractory autosomal recessive
- Pyridoxine refractory sideroblastic anemia
- Refractory anemia with ringed sideroblasts
Your QuestionI am looking for information about this disease and also what types of treatments are available.
We have identified the following information that we hope you find helpful. If you still have questions, please contact us.
Questions on this page
- What is sideroblastic anemia pyridoxine-refractory autosomal recessive?
- What are the signs and symptoms of sideroblastic anemia pyridoxine-refractory autosomal recessive?
- What causes sideroblastic anemia pyridoxine-refractory autosomal recessive?
- How might sideroblastic anemia pyridoxine-refractory autosomal recessive be treated?
In sideroblastic anemia pyridoxine-refractory autosomal recessive the anemia generally remains stable over many years. However, in some individuals there is an unexplained progression of the anemia over time.
A few small studies have described the use of allogenic bone marrow or stem cell transplantation for hereditary and congenital forms of sideroblastic anemia. While these therapies may offer the possibility of a cure, the complications associated with transplantation surgery must be considered.
All patients with sideroblastic anemia should be followed by a hematologist and avoid alcohol.
- Escott-Stump S. Nutrition and Diagnosis-Related Care. Lippincott Williams & Wilkins; 2007;
- Anemia, sideroblastic, pyridoxine-refractory, autosomal recessive. Online Mendelian Inheritance in Man. 2009; http://omim.org/entry/205950. Accessed 10/26/2011.
- Ferri F. Anemia, Sideroblastic. Ferri's Clinical Advisor 2010, 1st ed. . Elsevier; 2009;
- Anemias, Sideroblastic. National Organization for Rare Disorders (NORD). 2007; http://www.rarediseases.org/search/rdbdetail_abstract.html?disname=Anemias%2C%20Sideroblastic. Accessed 12/9/2009.
- Bottomley SS, Schrier SL. Clinical aspects, diagnosis, and treatment of sideroblastic anemias. In: Basow, DS. UpToDate. Waltham, MA: UpToDate; 2011;
- Alcindor T, Bridges KR. Sideroblastic Anemias. The Information Center for Sickle Cell and Thalassemic Diseases. 2001; http://sickle.bwh.harvard.edu/sideroblastic.html. Accessed 12/9/2009.