Other Names for this Disease
- Urticaria, deafness and amyloidosis
- Urticaria-deafness-amyloidosis syndrome
- UDA syndrome
- Muckle Wells syndrome
- Neutrophilic urticaria
- Secondary glomerular disease
Your QuestionIs Muckle-Wells Syndrome life threatening?
We have identified the following information that we hope you find helpful. If you still have questions, please contact us.
Muckle-Wells syndrome can have severe consequences as a result of long-term high levels of inflammation in the body. In some patients, this leads to secondary or AA amyloidosis, an abnormal accumulation of the protein amyloid in the tissues and organs. This can become life-threatening due to a permanent build-up of amyloid in the kidneys, liver, spleen, and elsewhere. The most common clinical presentation is kidney failure.
Last updated: 10/17/2011
- Muckle-Wells Syndrome (MWS) . NOMID Alliance. http://www.nomidalliance.net/subpage.html. Accessed 10/17/2011.
- Secondary AA. Amyloidosis Foundation. http://www.amyloidosis.org/TreatmentInformation/secondaryAA.html. Accessed 10/17/2011.