Other Names for this Disease
- Oncocytoma renal
- Oncocytoma kidney
diagnostic imaging for other conditions. Some people with renal oncocytoma will have abdominal or flank pain; blood in the urine; and/or an abdominal mass. Although these tumors can occur in people of all ages, they most commonly develop in men who are over age 50. The exact underlying cause of most isolated (single tumor affecting one kidney) renal oncocytomas is unknown; however, multiple and bilateral (affecting both kidneys) renal oncocytomas sometimes occur in people with certain genetic syndromes such as tuberous sclerosis complex and Birt-Hogg-Dube syndrome. Although many benign tumors do not require treatment unless they are causing unpleasant symptoms, it can be difficult to confidently differentiate a renal oncocytoma from renal cell carcinoma. Most affected people are, therefore, treated with surgery which allows for confirmation of the diagnosis.Renal oncocytoma is a benign (noncancerous) growth of the kidney. They generally do not cause any signs or symptoms and are often discovered incidentally (by chance) while a person is undergoing
Last updated: 2/17/2015
- Sanjeeva P Kalva, MD. Renal Oncocytoma Imaging. Medscape Reference. August 2013; http://emedicine.medscape.com/article/379653-overview.
- Michael B Atkins, MD; Toni K Choueiri, MD. Epidemiology, pathology, and pathogenesis of renal cell carcinoma. UpToDate. January 2015; Accessed 2/17/2015.
- Schieda N, McInnes MD, Cao L.. Diagnostic accuracy of segmental enhancement inversion for diagnosis of renal oncocytoma at biphasic contrast enhanced CT: systematic review. Eur Radiol. June 2014; 24(6):1421-1429.
- Benatiya MA1, Rais G, Tahri M, Barki A, El sayegh H, Iken A, Nouini Y, Lachkar A, Benslimane L, Errihani H, Faik M.. Renal oncocytoma: experience of Clinical Urology A, Urology Department, CHU Ibn Sina, Rabat, Morocco and literature review. Pan Afr Med J. 2012; 12:84.
On this page
- Medscape Reference provides information on this topic. You may need to register to view the medical textbook, but registration is free.
- Online Mendelian Inheritance in Man (OMIM) is a catalog of human genes and genetic disorders. Each entry has a summary of related medical articles. It is meant for health care professionals and researchers. OMIM is maintained by Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine.
- PubMed is a searchable database of medical literature and lists journal articles that discuss Renal oncocytoma. Click on the link to view a sample search on this topic.