Other Names for this Disease
- Papillary cystadenoma lymphomatosum (formerly)
Your QuestionI was diagnosed with Warthin tumor and was told it is a common tumor. We are going to watch and see if it keeps growing. Can this turn into cancer?
We have identified the following information that we hope you find helpful. If you still have questions, please contact us.
Questions on this page
Warthin tumor is a benign tumor of the salivary gland. The first symptom is usually a painless, slow-growing bump in front of the ear, on the bottom of the mouth, or under the chin. Warthin tumors may increase in size over time, but few become cancerous. Though the cause is currently unknown, smoking is believed to increase the chance of developing Warthin tumor. Treatment may consist of surgery to remove the tumor or careful observation to watch for changes in the tumor over time.
Last updated: 9/8/2015
Warthin tumors are almost always benign. However, it is estimated that 0.3-0.5% of Warthin tumors become cancerous (malignant).
Last updated: 9/8/2015
Salivary gland tumors affect 3 out of every 100,000 people each year. Approximately 5-15% of these people are diagnosed with a Warthin tumor.
Last updated: 9/9/2015
- Salivary Gland Tumors. MedlinePlus. February 2014; http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/ency/article/001040.htm.
- Iwai T, Baba J, Murata S, Mitsudo K, Maegawa J, Nagahama K, Tohnai I. Warthin tumor arising from the minor salivary gland. J Craniofac Surg. September 2012; 23(5):374-376.
- Sanford Dubner, MD. Benign Parotid Tumors. Medscape Reference. March 2015; http://emedicine.medscape.com/article/1289560-overview#showall.
- Thangarajah T, Reddy VM, Castellanos-Arango F, Panarese A. Current controversies in the management of Warthin tumour. Postgraduate Medical Journal. 2009; 85:3-8. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19240281. Accessed 10/9/2012.
- Williamson JD, Simmons BH, el-Naggar A, Medeiros LJ. Mucoepidermoid carcinoma involving Warthin tumor. A report of five cases and review of the literature. American Journal of Clinical Pathology. 2000; 114:564-570. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/11026102. Accessed 10/10/2012.
- National Cancer Institute. General Information about Salivary Gland Cancer. Salivary Gland Cancer Treatment. July 2015; http://www.cancer.gov/cancertopics/pdq/treatment/salivarygland/HealthProfessional.
- Fadi Chahin, MD. Benign Tumors of Major Salivary Glands. Medscape Reference. October 2013; http://emedicine.medscape.com/article/194357-overview.