See Disclaimer regarding information on this site. Some links on this page may take you to organizations outside of the National Institutes of Health.
autoimmune conditions characterized by inflammation of the limbic system and other parts of the brain. The cardinal sign of limbic encephalitis is a severe impairment of short-term memory; however, symptoms may also include confusion, psychiatric symptoms, and seizures. The symptoms typically develop over a few weeks or months, but they may evolve over a few days. Limbic encephalitis is often associated with an underlying neoplasm (paraneoplastic limbic encephalitis); however some cases never have a neoplasm identified (non-paraneoplastic limbic encephalitis). Delayed diagnosis is common, but improvements are being made to assist in early detection. Various tests including imaging studies (MRI, PET) laboratory tests (CSF analysis), and tests that measure the electrical activity of the brain (EEG) may be utilized to confirm a diagnosis. Treatment includes removal of the neoplasm (if identified) and immunotherapy.Limbic encephalitis represents a group of
Last updated: 4/26/2016
- Anderson NE, Barber PA. Limbic encephalitis - a review. Journal of Clinical Neuroscience. 2008; http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/18411052.
- Asztely F, Kumlien E.. The diagnosis and treatment of limbic encephalitis. Acta Neurol Scand. Dec 2012; 126(6):365-375. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22713136.
- Dr Sarosh R Irani, Dr Camilla Buckley and Prof Angela Vincent. Limbic Encephalitis. The Encephalitis Society. August 2013; http://www.encephalitis.info/files/9413/3995/5695/FS013V1.pdf.
- The Encephalitis Society offers a factsheet on Limbic encephalitis
- Medscape Reference provides information on this topic. You may need to register to view the medical textbook, but registration is free.
- Orphanet is a European reference portal for information on rare diseases and orphan drugs. Access to this database is free of charge.
- PubMed is a searchable database of medical literature and lists journal articles that discuss Limbic encephalitis. Click on the link to view a sample search on this topic.