Hypertrophic neuropathy of Dejerine-Sottas
Other Names for this Disease
- Charcot-Marie-Tooth disease type 3
- Charcot-Marie-Tooth Disease, type 3
- Dejerine-Sottas neuropathy
- Dejerine-Sottas syndrome
Charcot-Marie-Tooth disease (sometimes called type 3) that is characterized by sensory loss with ataxia in the limbs furthest from the body and pes cavus with progression towards the limbs closest to the body. Depending on the specific gene that is altered, this severe, early onset form of the disorder may also be classified as type 1 or type 4. Dejerine-Sottas syndrome has been associated with mutations in the MPZ, PMP22, EGR2, and PRX genes. Autosomal dominant and autosomal recessive inheritance have been described.Hypertrophic neuropathy of Dejerine-Sottas (Dejerine-Sottas syndrome) is a term sometimes used to describe a severe, early childhood form of
Last updated: 8/28/2012
- Charcot-Marie-Tooth disease. Genetics Home Reference (GHR). 2010; http://ghr.nlm.nih.gov/condition/charcot-marie-tooth-disease. Accessed 8/28/2012.
- Hypertrophic Neuropathy of Dejerine-Sottas. Online Mendelian Inheritance in Man (OMIM). 2010; http://omim.org/entry/145900. Accessed 8/28/2012.
- de Assis Aquino Gondim F, Oliveira G, Thomas FP. Hereditary Neuropathies of the Charcot-Marie-Tooth Disease Type. Medscape Reference. 2010; http://emedicine.medscape.com/article/1173484-overview#showall. Accessed 8/28/2012.
- Gabreels-Festen A. Dejerine-Sottas syndrome grown to maturity: overview of genetic and morphological heterogeneity and follow-up of 25 patients. 2002; http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/12090401. Accessed 8/28/2012.
- Bird TD. Charcot-Marie-Tooth Hereditary Neuropathy Overview. GeneReviews. 2012; http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/books/NBK1358/. Accessed 8/28/2012.
- Genetics Home Reference (GHR) contains information on Hypertrophic neuropathy of Dejerine-Sottas. This website is maintained by the National Library of Medicine.
- The Muscular Dystrophy Association has developed an information page entitled "Surgery Sometimes, Bracing Often, Caution Always: Caring for the CMT-affected Foot." Click on Muscular Dystrophy Association to view this information page.
- Medscape Reference provides information on this topic. You may need to register to view the medical textbook, but registration is free.
- Online Mendelian Inheritance in Man (OMIM) is a catalog of human genes and genetic disorders. Each entry has a summary of related medical articles. It is meant for health care professionals and researchers. OMIM is maintained by Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine.
- Orphanet is a European reference portal for information on rare diseases and orphan drugs. Access to this database is free of charge.
- PubMed is a searchable database of medical literature and lists journal articles that discuss Hypertrophic neuropathy of Dejerine-Sottas. Click on the link to view a sample search on this topic.