Primary central nervous system lymphoma
Other Names for this Disease
- Primary lymphoma, CNS
- Primary brain lymphoma
- Primary CNS lymphoma
See Disclaimer regarding information on this site. Some links on this page may take you to organizations outside of the National Institutes of Health.
non-Hodgkin lymphoma in which cancerous cells develop in the lymph tissue of the brain and/or spinal cord. Because the eye is so close to the brain, primary CNS lymphoma can also start in the eye (called ocular lymphoma). The signs and symptoms vary based on which parts of the central nervous system are affected, but may include nausea and vomiting; seizures; headaches; arm or leg weakness; confusion; double vision and/or hearing loss. The exact underlying cause of primary CNS lymphoma is poorly understood; however, people with a weakened immune system (such as those with acquired immunodeficiency syndrome) or who have had an organ transplant appear to have an increased risk of developing the condition. Treatment varies based on the severity of the condition and location of the cancerous cells.Primary central nervous system lymphoma (primary CNS lymphoma) is a rare form of
Last updated: 1/11/2016
- Primary CNS Lymphoma Treatment (PDQ®). National Cancer Institute. September 2015; http://www.cancer.gov/types/lymphoma/patient/primary-cns-lymphoma-treatment-pdq#section/_25.
- Tarakad S Ramachandran, MBBS, FRCP, FRCPC. Primary CNS Lymphoma. Medscape Reference. December 2014; http://emedicine.medscape.com/article/1157638-overview#a1.
- Central Nervous System (CNS) Lymphoma. Leukemia and Lymphoma Society. February 2012; https://www.lls.org/lymphoma/non-hodgkin-lymphoma/treatment/treatment-for-aggressive-nhl-subtypes/central-nervous-system-cns-lymphoma.
- Medscape Reference provides information on this topic. You may need to register to view the medical textbook, but registration is free.
- Orphanet is a European reference portal for information on rare diseases and orphan drugs. Access to this database is free of charge.
- PubMed is a searchable database of medical literature and lists journal articles that discuss Primary central nervous system lymphoma. Click on the link to view a sample search on this topic.