Other Names for this Disease
- Eagle's syndrome
- Elongated styloid process syndrome
- Elongated styloid process which causes cervico facial pain tinnitus and otalgia
- Styloid-stylohyoid syndrome
dysphagia (difficulty swallowing), and/or facial pain. This condition is a direct result of an elongated styloid process of the temporal bone or calcified stylohyoid ligament. The actual cause of the elongation is a poorly understood process. Diagnosis is made both radiographically and by physical examination. Treatment of Eagle syndrome is both surgical and nonsurgical.Eagle syndrome is a collection of symptoms that includes recurrent throat and ear pain, foreign body sensation (or the feeling that something is stuck in one's throat),
Last updated: 7/28/2010
- Murtagh RD, Caracciolo JT, Fernandez G. CT Findings Associated with Eagle Syndrome. American Journal of Neuroradiology. 2001; http://www.ajnr.org/cgi/content/full/22/7/1401. Accessed 7/24/2010.
On this page
- Medscape Reference provides information on this topic. You may need to register to view the medical textbook, but registration is free.
- PubMed is a searchable database of medical literature and lists journal articles that discuss Eagle syndrome. Click on the link to view a sample search on this topic.