- Eagle's syndrome
- Elongated styloid process syndrome
- Elongated styloid process which causes cervico facial pain tinnitus and otalgia
- Styloid-stylohyoid syndrome
Surgical treatment involves removal of the extension of the styloid process that is causing the pain. This surgery can carry risks, including scarring from the site of surgery or continued pain from Eagle syndrome or from surgical complications such as damage to the carotid vessels or the nerves in the area.
- Murtagh RD, Caracciolo JT, Fernandez G. CT Findings Associated with Eagle Syndrome. American Journal of Neuroradiology. 2001; http://www.ajnr.org/cgi/content/full/22/7/1401. Accessed 7/24/2010.
- Hampf G, Aalberg V, Tasanen A, Nyman C. Int J Oral Maxillofac Surg. 1986; 15(5):549-52. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/3097179. Accessed 7/24/2010.
- Rinaldi V, Faiella F, Casale M, Coco M, Salvinelli F. Eagle Syndrome . Medscape Reference. 2012; http://emedicine.medscape.com/article/1447247-overview. Accessed 7/31/2013.
- Clinical Policy Bulletin: Ernest or Eagle's Syndrome (Stylomandibular Ligament Pain): Treatment with Radiofrequency Thermoneurolysis. Aetna. 2000; http://www.aetna.com/cpb/medical/data/400_499/0400.html. Accessed 12/2/2011.
- Finding Treatment Information - A video developed by GARD Information Specialists that explains how you can find information about treatment for a rare disease.