Other Names for this Disease
- Fatal pneumococcal Waterhouse-Friderichsen syndrome
- Waterhouse-Friderichsen syndrome
meningococcal infection or other severe, bacterial infection. Symptoms include acute adrenal gland insufficiency, and profound shock. Most patients with this condition are children, although adults may rarely be affected. It is deadly if not treated immediately.Waterhouse–Friderichsen syndrome is adrenal gland failure due to bleeding into the adrenal gland. It is usually caused by severe
Last updated: 2/4/2016
- Vyas JM, Zieve D, Black B. Waterhouse-Friderichsen syndrome. MedlinePlus. September 1, 2013; http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/ency/article/000609.htm.
- Tritos NA. Adrenal Hemorrhage. Medscape Reference. August 27, 2014; http://emedicine.medscape.com/article/126806-overview.
- MedlinePlus was designed by the National Library of Medicine to help you research your health questions, and it provides more information about this topic.
- Orphanet is a European reference portal for information on rare diseases and orphan drugs. Access to this database is free of charge.
- PubMed is a searchable database of medical literature and lists journal articles that discuss Waterhouse–Friderichsen syndrome. Click on the link to view a sample search on this topic.