Acute fatty liver of pregnancy
Other Names for this Disease
- Acute fatty liver, gestational
See Disclaimer regarding information on this site. Some links on this page may take you to organizations outside of the National Institutes of Health.
nausea and vomiting, pain in the stomach or upper-right abdomen, malaise, jaundice and headache. Without prompt treatment, AFLP can lead to coma, organ failure or death of the mother and baby. Treatment involves stabilizing the mother and delivery of the baby.Acute fatty liver of pregnancy (AFLP) is a rare and serious complication of pregnancy. It is characterized by a build-up of fat in the liver, which can lead to liver damage. The cause of AFLP is not well understood, but genetics may play a role. Symptoms generally begin in the third trimester and may include persistent
Last updated: 8/25/2014
- Liver disorders. March of Dimes. 2014; http://www.marchofdimes.org/pregnancy/liver-disorders.aspx. Accessed 8/25/2014.
- Finke A. Acute Fatty Liver of Pregnancy. University of Rochester Medical Center Health Encyclopedia. 2014; http://www.urmc.rochester.edu/Encyclopedia/Content.aspx?ContentTypeID=90&ContentID=P02465. Accessed 8/25/2014.
On this page
- Medscape Reference provides information on this topic. You may need to register to view the medical textbook, but registration is free.
- The Monarch Initiative brings together data about this condition from humans and other species to help physicians and biomedical researchers. Monarch’s tools are designed to make it easier to compare the signs and symptoms (phenotypes) of different diseases and discover common features. This initiative is a collaboration between several academic institutions across the world and is funded by the National Institutes of Health. Visit the website to explore the biology of this condition.
- Orphanet is a European reference portal for information on rare diseases and orphan drugs. Access to this database is free of charge.
- PubMed is a searchable database of medical literature and lists journal articles that discuss Acute fatty liver of pregnancy. Click on the link to view a sample search on this topic.