Adenosarcoma of the uterus
Other Names for this Disease
- Mullerian adenosarcoma of the uterus
- Uterine adenosarcoma
See Disclaimer regarding information on this site. Some links on this page may take you to organizations outside of the National Institutes of Health.
 This type of tumor is characterized by both benign (noncancerous) and malignant components (low-grade sarcoma). Typical symptoms in affected individuals may include abnormal vaginal bleeding, an enlarged uterus, and tissue protruding from the external os (external opening of the uterus that leads into the cavity of the cervix). It is most common in post-menopausal women but can affect women of any age. Factors that may predisposed an individual to the condition include hyperestrogenemia (high blood estrogen levels), chemotherapy, or radiotherapy. Recommended treatment includes hysterectomy, usually accompanied by bilateral salpingo-oophorectomy (removal of fallopian tubes and ovaries). Ovarian conservation is an option for reproductive age women.Adenosarcoma of the uterus is a rare tumor of the uterus that typically originates in the lining of the uterus (endometrium).
Last updated: 10/12/2012
- Xie YP, Yao HX, Shen YM. Müllerian adenosarcoma of the uterus with heterologous elements: two case reports and literature review. Arch Gynecol Obstet. August 2012; 286(2):537-540.
- Volkan Ulkera, Ekrem Yavuzb, Ali Gedikbasic, Ceyhun Numanoglua, Sinem Sudolmusc, Ahmet Gulkilika. Uterine adenosarcoma with ovarian sex cord-like differentiation: A case report and review of the literature. Taiwanese Journal of Obstetrics and Gynecology. December 2011; 50(4):518–521.
- Sinha A, Phukan JP, Sengupta S, Guha P. Mullerian adenosarcoma of uterus with sarcomatous overgrowth and heterologous component associated with stromal deposit in omentum: a case report and review of the literature. Case Report Med. 2012; ePub:
- PubMed is a searchable database of medical literature and lists journal articles that discuss Adenosarcoma of the uterus. Click on the link to view a sample search on this topic.