Multicentric Castleman Disease
Other Names for this Disease
- Plasmablastic multicentric Castleman disease
- Multicentric plasma cell variant of Castleman's disease
- Idiopathic multicentric Castleman's disease
lymph nodes and related tissues. It is a form of Castleman disease that is "systemic" and affects multiple sets of lymph nodes and other tissues throughout the body (as opposed to unicentric Castleman disease which has more "localized" effects). The signs and symptoms of MCD are often nonspecific and blamed on other, more common conditions. They can vary but may include fever; weight loss; fatigue; night sweats; enlarged lymph nodes; nausea and vomiting; and an enlarged liver or spleen. The eact underlying cause is unknown. Treatment may involve immunotherapy, chemotherapy, corticosteroid medications and/or anti-viral drugs.Multicentric Castleman disease (MCD) is a rare condition that affects the
Last updated: 6/25/2015
- Castleman Disease. American Cancer Society. July 2014; http://www.cancer.org/cancer/castlemandisease/detailedguide/index.
- Neetu Radhakrishnan, MD. Castleman Disease. Medscape Reference. January 2015; http://emedicine.medscape.com/article/2219018-overview.
- Jon C Aster, MD; Jennifer R Brown, MD, PhD; Nikhil C Munshi, MD. Multicentric Castleman's disease. UpToDate. January 2015; Accessed 6/25/2015.
- The American Cancer Society provides detailed information about Multicentric Castleman Disease. Click on the link to access this information.
- Mayo Clinic has an information page on Multicentric Castleman Disease.
- The National Organization for Rare Disorders (NORD) is a federation of more than 130 nonprofit voluntary health organizations serving people with rare disorders. Click on the link to view information on this topic.
- Medscape Reference provides information on this topic. You may need to register to view the medical textbook, but registration is free.
- Orphanet is a European reference portal for information on rare diseases and orphan drugs. Access to this database is free of charge.
- PubMed is a searchable database of medical literature and lists journal articles that discuss Multicentric Castleman Disease. Click on the link to view a sample search on this topic.