Epithelial basement membrane corneal dystrophy
Other Names for this Disease
- Cogan corneal dystrophy
- Corneal dystrophy, anterior basement membrane
- Map-dot-fingerprint dystrophy of cornea
- Microcystic dystrophy of the cornea
epithelium of the cornea (the outermost region of the cornea) loses its normal clarity due to a buildup of cloudy material. It gets its name from the unusual appearance of the cornea during an eye exam. This dystrophy occurs when the epithelium's basement membrane develops abnormally, causing the epithelial cells to not properly adhere to it. This leads to recurrent epithelial erosions, which can cause blurred vision and severe pain. This condition is usually not inherited. However, families with autosomal dominant inheritance and mutations in the TGFBI gene have been identified.Epithelial basement membrane corneal dystrophy is a condition where the
Last updated: 7/8/2014
- Facts About the Cornea and Corneal Disease. National Eye Institute (NEI). May 2013; http://www.nei.nih.gov/health/cornealdisease/#j. Accessed 7/8/2014.
- Corneal dystrophy, epithelial basement membrane; EBMD. Online Mendelian Inheritance of Man (OMIM). June 19, 2009; http://omim.org/entry/121820. Accessed 7/8/2014.
- The National Eye Institute (NEI) was established by Congress in 1968 to protect and prolong the vision of the American people. Click on the link to view information on this topic.
- The National Organization for Rare Disorders (NORD) is a federation of more than 130 nonprofit voluntary health organizations serving people with rare disorders. Click on the link to view information on this topic.
- Medscape Reference provides information on this topic. You may need to register to view the medical textbook, but registration is free.
- Online Mendelian Inheritance in Man (OMIM) is a catalog of human genes and genetic disorders. Each entry has a summary of related medical articles. It is meant for health care professionals and researchers. OMIM is maintained by Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine.
- PubMed is a searchable database of medical literature and lists journal articles that discuss Epithelial basement membrane corneal dystrophy. Click on the link to view a sample search on this topic.