Other Names for this Disease
See Disclaimer regarding information on this site. Some links on this page may take you to organizations outside of the National Institutes of Health.
lymphatic system. They are always present at birth, although they may change and become more apparent over time. Lymphangiomas are most commonly found in the head and neck region, but can affect almost any part of the body (except the brain). Some may appear as a tiny blue or red spot while others are massive and affect an entire limb (arm or leg). The signs and symptoms vary depending on the size and location of the mass; however, lymphangiomas can disfigure affected areas and potentially disrupt the function of nearby organs or tissues regardless of size. The exact underlying cause is unknown. Treatment options vary based on the signs and symptoms present in each person but may include surgery.Lymphangioma is a benign (non-cancerous) mass made of fluid-filled spaces, which is thought to occur due to abnormal development of the
Last updated: 12/20/2014
- Lymphatic Malformations. NORD. June 2011; https://www.rarediseases.org/rare-disease-information/rare-diseases/byID/646/viewAbstract.
- Lymphatic malformation. DermNet NZ. December 2014; http://dermnetnz.org/vascular/lymphangioma.html.
- Robert A Schwartz, MD, MPH. Lymphangioma. Medscape Reference. May 2014; http://emedicine.medscape.com/article/1086806-overview.
- DermNet NZ is an online resource about skin diseases developed by the New Zealand Dermatological Society Incorporated. DermNet NZ provides information about this condition.
- The National Organization for Rare Disorders (NORD) is a federation of more than 130 nonprofit voluntary health organizations serving people with rare disorders. Click on the link to view information on this topic.
- Medscape Reference provides information on this topic. You may need to register to view the medical textbook, but registration is free.
- PubMed is a searchable database of medical literature and lists journal articles that discuss Lymphangioma. Click on the link to view a sample search on this topic.