Intrahepatic cholestasis of pregnancy
Other Names for this Disease
- Familial intrahepatic cholestasis of pregnancy
- Recurrent intrahepatic cholestasis of pregnancy
- Pregnancy related cholestasis
See Disclaimer regarding information on this site. Some links on this page may take you to organizations outside of the National Institutes of Health.
On this page
Treatment for intrahepatic cholestasis of pregnancy aims to relieve itching and prevent complications. Medications utilized to relieve itching might include ursodiol (Actigall, Urso), which helps decrease the level of bile in the mother's bloodstream, relieves itchiness and may reduce complications for the baby. To prevent pregnancy complications, close monitoring of the baby might be recommended. Even if prenatal tests appear normal, induction of early labor might be recommended.
Last updated: 3/15/2016
- Cholestasis of Pregnancy. Mayo Clinic. April 16, 2014; http://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/cholestasis-of-pregnancy/basics/definition/con-20032985.
- GeneReviews provides current, expert-authored, peer-reviewed, full-text articles describing the application of genetic testing to the diagnosis, management, and genetic counseling of patients with specific inherited conditions.
- ClinicalTrials.gov lists trials that are studying or have studied Intrahepatic cholestasis of pregnancy. Click on the link to go to ClinicalTrials.gov to read descriptions of these studies.