See Disclaimer regarding information on this site. Some links on this page may take you to organizations outside of the National Institutes of Health.
endometriosis). Some believe that catamenial pneumothorax is the most common form of thoracic endometriosis (a condition in which the endometrial tissue grows in or around the lungs). A diagnosis of catamenial pneumothorax is usually suspected when a woman of reproductive age and with endometriosis has episodes of pneumothorax. Treatment is with hormones and surgery.Catamenial pneumothorax is an extremely rare condition that affects women. Pneumothorax is the medical term for a collapsed lung, a condition in which air or gas is trapped in the space surrounding the lungs causing the lungs to collapse. Women with catamenial pneumothorax have recurrent episodes of pneumothorax that occur within 72 hours before or after the start of menstruation. The exact cause of catamenial pneumothorax is unknown and several theories have been proposed. Many cases are associated with the abnormal development of endometrial tissue outside of the uterus (
Last updated: 10/13/2015
- Aikaterini N & cols. Catamenial pneumothorax. J Thorac Dis. 2014 Oct; 6(Suppl 4):S448–S460. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4203986. Accessed 10/13/2015.
- Catamenial pneumothorax. WebMD. May 28, 2015; http://www.webmd.com/lung/catamenial-pneumothorax. Accessed 10/13/2015.
- Azizad-Pinto P & Clarke D. Thoracic endometriosis syndrome: case report and review of the literature. Perm J. 2014 Summer; 18(3):61-5. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4116267/. Accessed 10/13/2015.
- The National Organization for Rare Disorders (NORD) is a federation of more than 130 nonprofit voluntary health organizations serving people with rare disorders. Click on the link to view information on this topic.
- Medscape Reference provides information on this topic. You may need to register to view the medical textbook, but registration is free.
- Online Mendelian Inheritance in Man (OMIM) is a catalog of human genes and genetic disorders. Each entry has a summary of related medical articles. It is meant for health care professionals and researchers. OMIM is maintained by Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine.
- PubMed is a searchable database of medical literature and lists journal articles that discuss Catamenial pneumothorax. Click on the link to view a sample search on this topic.